Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 11th - Ten Years After

We will always remember where we were on September 11, 2001. We'll remember when we heard the news of the attacks, and where we were as the events of the next few days unfolded. And because of this we will distinctly remember where we were living and where we were in our lives at that time as well.

For me it was a significant and transitional time. I was living in Kalamazoo, in the only house I've ever bought on my own. I had recently quit a dull job to go to work for a struggling non-profit theater, and I felt continually stressed and worried about that.

BB and I were at the beginning of our relationship. My son, Justin, had just started a relationship with the woman who would become his wife. And both of my sons, who were 20 at the time, were living in my basement, working at a local movie theater, and not quite yet ready to leave the nest.



Justin and Maria were just at the beginning of their relationship when I took this photo of them in September 2001. They are now married and the parents of my two beautiful grandchildren.


Like many of my neighbors, I put our flag on display. Then I asked my son, Jerry, to pose for this photo. It's an ordinary snapshot, but I like the way it captures so much about that time for me: the house, my son, and the patriotism inspired by 9/11.


A lot has happened in the last ten years: I sold my house. Moved three times. Justin and Maria got Married. BB lost her job. BB got a new job. Jerry got married. Benny was born. Natalie was born. Jerry got divorced. I wrote a book, four short stories, several personal essays, and a blog. I discovered digital photography. Took thousands of photos. Went to the British Virgin Islands, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, New York City twice, Key West Twice, Cocoa Beach, Washington D.C., Copper Harbor, Chicago, The Bahamas, and Charlotte three times. Made new friends & got reacquainted with old friends. etc...

This photo that I currently use for my Blogger profile is now ten years old! It was taken outside of the Whole Art Theater in the Fall of 2001. I guess I could update it, but it's one of my favorite photos of myself. Since then my hair has gone almost completely white, and I've gained some weight, but I don't think I look THAT much older, do I?

1 comment:

G said...

That sounds like a good way to spend 10 years. Living our lives well is the best memorial to those whose lives were cut short. And... you look great! :)