Friday, May 8, 2009

what's inside?

Aside from the frustration and tremendous amount of time it eats up, something I enjoy about house hunting is the opportunity to walk around in other people's homes when they're not there.

I'm pretty nosy by nature, so I especially enjoy looking into closets and cupboards. This is necessary, of-course, to determine if the closet and cupboard space are adequate to my needs. But I must admit that I enjoy this license to take note of what's kept and how it's arranged. I can't say what it is about this that intrests me so much, but it does.

I've always been a bit of a snoop. I'm the kind of person who will probably open your medicine cabinet when I'm a guest in your bathroom. I know I shouldn't, but I usually can't resist just a quick little peek. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this tendency. Don't we all do this, to one degree or another, at least sometimes?
I think it's this enjoyment of peeking into other lives that explains the current popularity of memoirs, blogs, reality TV, YouTube, Facebook, and, unfortunately, gossip magazines. Is it a trend, or just a natural inclination that has - um - come out of the closet?

1 comment:

Hermit on the Hill said...

I am SO the opposite! I don't WANT to know what's in your medicine cabinet!

Guess that's why I hate reality shows so much.