Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My true calling

I haven't been blogging much lately due to some self-imposed priorities based on the best use of my time.

Although it seems like it shouldn't take much effort to dash off a few little paragraphs now and then, the time spent crafting sentences and posting photos ends up taking a lot longer than you'd think. And there's always something more important I should be doing with that time.

Recently I've been doing two very important things: working on some stories, and packing up for our impending move. I still have this crazy dream that I might actually get something published somewhere someday, and to that end I've been trying to actually write.

But the thing is: I'd rather be packing. Of the two occupations I've recently been engaged in, I get a lot more enjoyment from packing boxes. And I'm not sure if this because I'd rather do just about anything than the hard work of writing, or if packing boxes is my true calling.

Packing boxes is something that comes to me naturally and gives me pleasure. Unlike writing which is difficult and breaks my heart. I'm confident about my ability to pack, and I get enjoyment from doing something I know I'm good at. I love to sort and organize. And I'm beginning to think I should pay attention to this. Or at least write a story about it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love reading your blog. I think you have a wonderful way with words, and you couple that talent so well with your eye for the beautiful.

While I don't doubt that you are an EXCELLENT organizer, I hope that you don't sell yourself short in your writing. I think the fact that you find writing difficult, and it breaks your heart, and you STILL DO IT, you still risk baring that part of yourself...that shows that it is your true calling. I promise you, as long as you write, I will read!!

Hilarywho said...

Thanks so much Sarah, what a nice thing to say!