Tuesday, July 14, 2009

junk or antique?

While I was dropping some things off at the Salvation Army today I noticed a sign with a list of items they do not accept. The list included computer monitors, waterbeds, console TVs, and typewriters.

This made me wonder what happens to old typewriters now. Do they just get pitched in the dump?

I wonder how many electric typewriters were made and sold in the 70s - 90s that are now just worthless junk? I'm sure that older, manual typewriters have already become "collectible," but will obsolete electrics ever achieve this status?

I got rid of my old electric typewriter two moves ago - back when they were still being accepted by charity. And I'm kind-of sorry I did. It could have become an antique family heirloom.

Or maybe not.

1 comment:

Tess Kincaid said...

There's just something romantic about a typewriters. I've always wanted an old Royal like my grandfather had. But I guess those big old electric ones, like I used at work in the '70s, aren't quite so charming.