Monday, February 8, 2010

The Hurt Locker

I went to see The Hurt Locker last night, another movie I probably wouldn't have viewed if it wasn't for the fact that it's nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. I never would have guessed that an action movie about war and warriors would appeal to me, but this one sure did.

The Hurt Locker is about three members of a bomb disposal unit in Iraq. And yes, there's lots of action, but it's action that's believable, not the Hollywood blockbuster cartoon type. The Hurt Locker is suspenseful, tense, and completely engrossing. Filmed in a way that seems like a documentary, it's as if you're embedded with this team of men.

This is a movie that's unsentimental, non-cliche', and doesn't try too hard to make a statement or convey a message. It's a movie that leaves you thinking. And still thinking about it the next day. I'm really glad I went to see it.



In addition to being nominated as the Best Picture of the year, The Hurt Locker's director, Kathryn Bigelow, has been nominated as Best Director, and I'll sure be rooting for her. She is one of only four - yes FOUR - women directors to have ever been nominated in this category, and NONE have ever won.

Considering that Kathryn is the ex-wife of James Cameron (director of Avatar) makes this all the more interesting, and makes me root for her all the more!!!

I've now seen eight out of the ten nominated movies, and hope to see the last two sometime soon.

4 comments:

G'G'ma said...

I saw this movie last week and like you didn't think I'd like it. War, action, gore aren't to my liking but this one caught me right away. Too bad I can't vote for Kathryn Bigelow!!

Saw "Up in the Air" also. Think there was too much airplane background sound....because of my bad hearing I couldn't understand what was being said most of the time. It was like being at a silent movie without the jerky picture!!

Hermit on the Hill said...

I was going to see that at The Little Theatre about a month ago. It piqued my interest because of my involvement with an Iraq war veteran, but was afraid it would be too disturbing.

Good to know you liked it. It's in my que.

G said...

Oh well done for keeping on top of the nominated films. I'm hopelessly behind... sigh. I had no idea Bigelow had been married to Cameron. And I had *no* idea only four women had been nominated in the director category. That's insane. Did you ever see Danger UXB? An older British tv series about a bomb disposal unit in WWII.

Great post! Great blog.

Tess Kincaid said...

I'll have to admit that I am pretty clueless as to the Oscar noms this year. Thanks for keeping me in the loop, dear friend!