Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Favorite Photo: Marie 1940s

I love this portrait of my mom, Marie, but I don't know when it was taken, or why. She was married in 1942, at the age of 19. So maybe this is an engagement photo?

Marie grew up during the depression in a blue collar neighborhood south of Detroit. There aren't any photos of her as a girl. I don't think her family owned a camera, so this portrait must have been a big deal. That's a very nice hat she has on, and quite the hairdo. But I notice she isn't wearing any jewelery.

It's fascinating to see my mom looking so glamorous. She worked in factories all her life and only got "dressed up" on rare occasions. She became my mom in 1955 when my mother was killed in an auto accident. I was only seven months old when this happened, so Marie was the only mother I knew. She died in 1994 and I still miss her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo!